Sunday, January 15, 2012

Should-Be-Doings


An excerpt from First Light: Women's Daily Devotional & Journal:
Someone once comared the daily task of caring for small children to stringing beads. At the end of the day you expect to find quite an impressive strand considering your efforts; then you come to realize there was no knot at the end of the string! All your hard work is strewn across the floor in spilled juice, Cheerios, toys and dirty diapers.
After the birth of her third child, Joy could easily relate to the "stringing beads" analogy. Every day she cared for a preschooler, a toddler, and a nursing infant - three needy little humans. Although she felt blessed beyond measure to be entrusted with these children, she found herself mostly exhausted, frustrated and overwhelmed.
In a rare moment of quiet one afternoon, Joy cried out to God, "What are my priorities? Quiet times"? (Those were hard to come by). "Scripture memorization"? (She could hardly remember where she put her purse!) "Exercise"? (How about pull-ups; she would pull the covers up over her head each morning).
"Joy", He seemed to say, "if you'll quit looking for significance in your circumstances and accomplishments and simply rest in your assignment, I will accomplish My agenda through you each day. This important season of your life may not look like you think it should, but by serving these little ones you are serving Me". Sure enough, when she let God's plans dictate her "doings", her life was filled with peace and contentment. Some days that divine agenda consisted simply of three meals and snacks, spills and cleanups, diapers and laundry, but always, God's love.
What "doings" in your life will you allow God to dictate?
Psalm 138: 7-8(NIV)
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; ...with your right hand you save me. The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I feel like God is done with me in a way. Or maybe it's the way that I'm feeling because of the people around me. I wonder what God's plan is for my life. If my season of singing for the Lord is over with God. I guess only time will tell.

3 comments:

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Just being the kind friend that you are to others is a purpose in life. There were many years of doing, and in the years to come you will still be that kind friend who offers solace, a smile, a flower from the garden, or just a warm hug. You are always connected and doing things for the God Who Dwells Within other people. Keep up the good work!

knittingdragonflies said...

I like the stringing beads comparison! Keep at it!
Vicki

Z said...

- Zippi and Vicki -

Thank you, I appreciate that.